Many are unaware of the effort that goes into the permitting process when constructing a home. Obtaining a permit can be complex and time-consuming, but it is essential to ensure that your project is safe and complies with local building codes and regulations.
Before getting into the different ways, you can obtain a permit, you need to understand what it is in the first place. A building permit is authorization from a city or county permitting to build or construct a project. Permits are required for new projects as well as remodeling and renovation projects. It is put in place to allow a local jurisdiction to access the compliance of the building and construction process based on the safety and health requirements of the applicable codes.
Local jurisdictions come up with regulatory decisions for the areas within their boundaries. These decisions encompass standards and requirements referred to as laws of the land. It entails building permit requirements for each area depending on the local codes. So, how do you get a permit for your project? This article delves into five ways you can obtain a permit for construction.
Image Source: https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/approved-construction-permit-application-gm175439048-20413446?
- Hire a Professional Contractor
If unsure about the permitting process, you can hire a professional contractor like Costas Construction. Most of the buildings work with professionals to assist with the process of obtaining a permit. You need to apply for permits from the authorities, including occupancy permits, plumbing permits, etc. A professional will lead you in the right direction and help you with all the aspects of your project, including the plan review process and inspection process required to obtain a permit.
A general contractor is great for connecting people throughout the process and ensuring you do not miss any of the required steps during the zoning and permitting stages of your building. You will have the guarantee that all the necessary approvals will be received before the start of the construction. Therefore, you will avoid penalties and fines. You will have peace of mind knowing that your project is in the hands of people with experience who know the ins and outs of getting a project done and acquiring necessary permits.
- Submit Your Application Through Your Local Building Department
Application submission to the local building department is a standard method of obtaining a permit for construction. Each state has its own unique building permit requirements. Here are some of the stages you will go through to get the permit:
Image Source: https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/planning-application-gm137556194-6334136?
- Make a project plan – Set the project’s parameters, including the overall budget and skill level needed.
- Meet local authorities before application – The authorities will advise you on completing your project and steer clear of issues that can cost you time and money.
- Submit your application for a building permit – Ensure that you have all the necessary forms, site drawings, and documents on hand before requesting a permit and submitting it. It would help if you gave the specifics about your construction materials for the evaluation team to understand your project easily.
- Work with officials on the permit review process – The authorities will review your project proposal and evaluate whether it complies with local building codes and demands for construction, zoning, and the environment.
- Acquire a building permit – You can start your building job in compliance with the regulations and laws.
- Plan site inspections – You will need to arrange inspections as you continue the construction to ensure it stays within the restrictions.
- Obtain your final endorsement – After a final inspection and completion of construction work, the official will give you final approval.
- Use an Online Permit Service
Many cities and counties now offer online permit services that allow you to apply for and obtain permits online. It is a convenient way of obtaining permits as it removes the need to visit the building department in person. However, you still need to submit detailed plans and specifications for your project. The building department will review your application to ascertain it complies with the building regulations and codes.
Image Source: https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/job-application-gm1259001437-369017451?
- Acquire a Pre-Approved Permit
Contractors and homeowners can purchase and utilize house plans reviewed for conformance with building codes and many other standards in advance. Pre-approved permits are a simple and inexpensive option that reduces the permit process time for certain housing types and can lead to more affordable housing. Some of these plan programs also seek to promote improved residential design that fits the neighborhood context.
- Seek Variance or Special Exception
You can obtain a variance or special exception if your project does not comply with local regulations or building codes. A variance is a legal exception that allows you to deviate from the building code. On the other hand, a special exception is a legal exception that allows you to use a property that does not conform to the zoning codes. Both special exceptions and variances require local government approval and may be granted if your project meets specific standards.
Image Source: https://www.istockphoto.com/vector/two-architects-stand-with-approved-building-permit-gm1350810826-426776632?
Obtaining a permit is vital in ensuring that your project is safe and compliant with building regulations and codes. The above methods are the different ways you can get a permit to ensure you are not on the wrong side of the law.
Understanding the permitting process for your specific location and project is essential. It may also be helpful to engage building officials or professional contractors to ensure that you have all the necessary documents and information to apply for and obtain the permit.