Hemp CBD oil is becoming increasingly popular as a natural, holistic remedy for a variety of ailments. CBD oil is known to interact with many medications, so it’s important to be aware of the common medications that you should avoid taking with CBD oil. While some medications may be safe to take together, there are certain drugs such as blood thinners, antihistamines, and antidepressants that should not be taken with CBD oil. Knowing which medications are unsafe to take with cbd hemp oil can help you make informed decisions about your health. With the right knowledge, you can make sure you are taking the right medications and avoiding any potentially dangerous interactions.
What is hemp CBD oil?
CBD oil is a herbal extract that comes from the seeds of the hemp plant. Unlike other forms of cannabis, CBD oil does not contain high levels of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the psychoactive substance that produces a “high” when ingested or smoked. CBD oil is often used as a natural remedy to treat anxiety, depression, chronic pain, and other physical and mental health conditions. Unlike THC, CBD oil is not a controlled substance and is completely legal in the United States.
Benefits of taking hemp CBD oil
– Promotes relaxation – CBD oil is known to promote relaxation, which can help reduce anxiety, calm muscle spasms, and improve sleep quality.
– Helps relieve pain – CBD oil has been shown to reduce pain caused by inflammation and neuropathic pain, which can often be seen in people with diabetes and fibromyalgia.
– Helps reduce seizures – Epilepsy is a disorder that causes seizures due to disruption in the brain’s normal electrical activity. CBD oil has been shown to reduce the number of seizures for those with epilepsy and can help reduce the severity of the seizures.
– Helps with mood disorders – Mood disorders like depression, anxiety, and bipolar disorder affect millions of people worldwide. CBD oil has been shown to reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety and promote a positive mood.
– Helps with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) – Many people living with IBD take medications that suppress the immune system. CBD oil can help increase the efficacy of these drugs, reduce inflammation, and promote healing.
Common medications to avoid taking with hemp CBD oil
Blood thinners – Blood thinners, or anticoagulants, reduce blood clotting and are often prescribed to people at risk of blood clots, strokes, and heart attacks. Blood thinners interact with many different herbal supplements and medications, including CBD oil. This can cause the blood to become too thin, increasing the risk of bleeding.
– Blood pressure medication – Blood pressure medication is often used to treat high blood pressure. Taking CBD oil with blood pressure medication can lower your blood pressure to an unsafe level.
– Antidepressants – Antidepressants, also known as SSRIs, are prescribed to treat mood disorders such as depression, anxiety, and PTSD. CBD oil can interact with these medications and cause serotonin syndrome.
– Anti-anxiety medication – Anti-anxiety medication, or benzodiazepines, are often prescribed to treat panic disorders, PTSD, and other anxiety disorders. Taking CBD oil while on these medications can cause drowsiness and delirium.
– Anti-malarial medication – Malaria is a disease caused by parasites that infect the blood, primarily in tropical and subtropical regions of the world. An anti-malarial medication, such as atovaquone/proguanil (Malarone®), is taken as a precaution against contracting malaria. CBD oil can interact with this medication and cause hepatotoxicity (liver damage).
Potential risks of taking certain medications with hemp CBD oil
– Bleeding – Bleeding occurs when the blood is too thin. This can happen when using blood thinners and taking CBD oil.
– Decreased efficacy – Some medications, such as anti-anxiety drugs, antidepressants, and blood pressure medications, can cause reduced efficacy when taken with CBD oil.
– Delirium – Taking CBD oil with anti-anxiety drugs can cause delirium, a state of mental confusion.
– Hallucinations – Taking CBD oil with SSRIs, or serotonin reuptake inhibitors, can cause hallucinations.
– Hepatotoxicity – CBD oil can cause hepatotoxicity when used with anti-malarial medications.
How to avoid potentially dangerous drug interactions
– Research your medications – Before taking any new medications, make sure you research that drug’s interaction with other medications. This includes herbal supplements like CBD oil.
– Always talk with your doctor – It’s important to always talk to your doctor before taking any new medications. Your doctor can help you determine the best course of action based on your health needs.
– Be aware of potential side effects – When taking new medications, be sure to watch out for any potential side effects. If you notice any negative side effects, make sure to report them to your doctor.
– Take CBD oil with food – Taking CBD oil with food can help to decrease the likelihood of side effects and drug interactions.
Leave a Reply